IF-Conditional Sentence and Wish Tugas 3 Pembelajaran Bahasa Inggris Berantuan Komputer#


CONDITIONAL SENTENCE
Conditional tenses are used to speculate about what could happen, what might have happened, and what we wish would happen. In English, most sentences using the conditional contain the word if. Many conditional forms in English are used in sentences that include verbs in one of the past tenses. This usage is referred to as "the unreal past" because we use a past tense but we are not actually referring to something that happened in the past. There are five main ways of constructing conditional sentences in English. In all cases, these sentences are made up of an if clause and a main clause. In many negative conditional sentences, there is an equivalent sentence construction using "unless" instead of "if".

TYPE 1 CONDITIONAL

The type 1 conditional is used to refer to the present or future where the situation is real. The type 1 conditional refers to a possible condition and its probable result. In these sentences the if clause is in the simple present, and the main clause is in the simple future.
If clause
Main clause
If + simple present
simple future
If this thing happens
that thing will happen.

TYPE 2 CONDITIONAL

The type 2 conditional is used to refer to a time that is now or any time, and a situation that is unreal. These sentences are not based on fact. The type 2 conditional is used to refer to a hypothetical condition and its probable result. In type 2 conditional sentences, the if clause uses the simple past, and the main clause uses the present conditional.
If clause
Main clause
If + simple past
Past future
If it rained
you would get wet.

TYPE 3 CONDITIONAL

The type 3 conditional is used to refer to a time that is in the past, and a situation that is contrary to reality. The facts they are based on are the opposite of what is expressed. The type 3 conditional is used to refer to an unreal past condition and its probable past result. In type 3 conditional sentences, the if clause uses the past perfect, and the main clause uses the perfect conditional.
If clause
Main clause
If + past perfect
Past future perfect
If you had studied harder
you would have passed the exam.

Wish and If only

Wish and ‘If only’ are both used to talk about regrets – things that we would like to change either about the past or the present.

Talking about the present
·         If only I didn’t have so much homework I could go to the concert tonight. She has a lot of homework and she can’t go to the concert.
When we talk about present regrets, both wish and if only are followed by the past simple tense. The past tense emphasises that we are talking about something ‘unreal’.

Talking about the past
·         I wish I’d studied harder when I was at school. He didn’t study harder when he was at school.
Both wish and if only are followed by the past perfect tense when we talk about past regrets.

Wish/if only and would

We use wish + would to talk about something in the present that we would like to change – usually something that we find annoying.
·         I wish you wouldn’t borrow my clothes without asking.
NB We can only use wish + would to talk about things we can’t change.

So I wish I wouldn’t eat so much chocolate is not possible although we can say I wish I didn’t eat so much chocolate.
Exercise

Conditional Sentences Type I, II or III

Complete the Conditional Sentences with the correct form (Type I, II or III).
§  If I  stronger, I'd help you carry the piano.
§  If we'd seen you, we .
§  If we  him tomorrow, we'll say hello.
§  He would have repaired the car himself if he  the tools.
§  If you drop the vase, it .
§  If I hadn't studied, I  the exam.
§  I wouldn't go to school by bus if I  a driving licence.
§  If she  him every day, she'd be lovesick.
§   to London if I don't get a cheap flight.
§  We'd be stupid if we  him about our secret.

Are you able to do this? Put your note book! good luck :)

Komentar